Thursday, May 19, 2011

kids, veggies, and chickens oh my!

Femivore: n. A highly educated opt-out mom who stays at home to raise kids, vegetables, and increasingly chickens.

Elsie with her chick. I love this picture of her!! In her dress up dress, purple hat, holding a chicken!! So cute!


Our backyard chickens



Norah hanging out with the chicks...

My pots of stuff... spruce tree (thank you Lowes), chives, radishes, marigolds, and nastursiums. Elsie also planted some mystery plants... Also there are my tomatoes waiting to be planted.




I did a whole 8 ft. X 2 ft. box with sugar snap peas. YUMMY!! Right after I planted them I came out and it looked like a bird had been through them and ate all the seeds. Happy to see that I was wrong. Lucky birds :)


I decided this year to try planting the red potatoes in a garden box. My little experiment. So far, they are coming up well. We'll see...


This box has onions, radishes, spinach, carrots, and lettuce. My carrots are in the middle 4 boxes. I came out the other day and a cat had dug up a whole square!!! Arg! Cats!! Notice the wood sticks across the boxes... my attempt at keeping out those cats!!


My two small barrels have blueberries that seem to be doing really well this year. The big middle barrels will be herbs. I have parsely and chamomile coming back already. Then you can see our strawberry patch. The flowers are coming.... Yeah!!




The strawberries. They are always the first thing that we get to enjoy from the yard. We are all so excited for them to be ready and to watch everything grow. There is just something about planting a seed and watching it grow, bloom, and produce food. A wonderful miracle every time.

2 comments:

Alli Blue said...

You are a wonderful miracle!

LindsayAnn said...

It looks great, you femivore you!